R. Miles Clark
R. Miles Clark represents individuals and companies in criminal investigations and prosecutions, securities enforcement actions, and complex business disputes.
Miles has represented business executives and other individuals in government investigations, criminal proceedings, and civil litigation involving allegations of financial fraud, securities fraud, health care fraud, public corruption, False Claims Act violations, and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) violations.
His clients include parties to antitrust claims, professional malpractice disputes, and breach of contract actions. He has represented many of the firm’s most high-profile clients, helping bring their cases to successful resolution under intense public scrutiny.
Miles also is involved in the firm’s Native American practice, which involves nationally significant litigation and political disputes with regard to land claims, trust land, gaming, and tax disputes.
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2003
- Notes Editor, Georgetown Law Journal
- Notes Editor, Georgetown Law Journal
- Princeton University, B.A., 1996
District of Columbia
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- Hon. Ellen Segal Huvelle, U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- Hon. William B. Bryant, U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- Defended the former CFO of one of the world’s largest financial institutions against allegations of securities fraud arising from a multibillion-dollar accounting restatement. After eight years of litigation, summary judgment was granted in our client’s favor in an opinion noting the “overwhelming evidence” we put forward to demonstrate our client’s good faith.
- Represented former IMF managing director Dominique Strauss-Kahn against criminal assault charges in one of the most intense and highly publicized criminal cases of 2011. All criminal charges against Mr. Strauss-Khan were dismissed. The firm also represented him in related civil matters.
- Represented the former CEO of a health care services organization in a grand jury investigation and related qui tam action concerning Medicare billings.
- Represented the CFO of Fortune 500 technology company that contracts with the government in a securities fraud class action and related derivative litigation.
- Represents the CEO of a multinational company in ongoing FCPA investigations.
- Represents a former bond trader at a major New York investment bank in multiple regulatory investigations into mortgage-backed securities matters and related civil litigation.
- Represented a civilian contractor in civil litigation alleging abuse of detainees at military facilities throughout Iraq.
- Represented the former general counsel of a major financial institution in U.S. Department of Justice, regulatory, and congressional investigations.
- Represented Cloverleaf Enterprises, Inc., the owner of Rosecroft Raceway, in an antitrust action against Pimlico Race Course and other thoroughbred racing interests in the state of Maryland. The case survived a motion to dismiss before settlement.
- Defended a nonprofit organization in a breach of contract and unfair trade practices action seeking millions of dollars in damages. Summary judgment was granted in the organization’s favor on all counts, and we successfully defended against efforts to revive the litigation post-judgment.
- Defended an international insurance services institution against allegations of malpractice.
- Successfully defended a New York-based hedge fund against claims by a large, publicly traded company seeking to prevent the fund from sponsoring a slate of candidates for its board of directors.
- Represented an indigent defendant charged with attempted carjacking and felony murder.
42 Zuckerman Spaeder Attorneys, Including Six “Ones to Watch,” Recognized in 2024 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
August 17, 2023 | Press release
Super Lawyers (Washington, DC)
2023 | Press release
Zuckerman Spaeder Obtains Dismissal of All Charges Against Client in a Federal Anti-Kickback Case
January 06, 2023 | Press release
Blankenship has high-profile, top-dollar team set to begin defense
November 11, 2015 | In the news
Dozens of Sealed Massey Coal Court Docs Released
January 08, 2015 | In the news
17 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Named Washington, DC “Super Lawyers”
April 30, 2013 | Press release
Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Wins Pre-Trial Dismissal of All Claims Against Former Fannie Mae Executive J. Timothy Howard
October 17, 2012 | Press release
Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Names R. Miles Clark Partner
January 09, 2012 | Press release